Here at SweetTree Home Care we provide hands on support to people in their homes, who are hoarding and provide a person-centred approach to each individual. Our priority is to focus on improving people’s health, safety and wellness.
We are looking for experienced carers / support workers to provide therapeutic and practical support for people who hoard. The successful candidates will support hoarders to both declutter, clean and maintain their homes and provide emotional support to make long-lasting changes to their behaviour. Hoarding is not just about the stuff—it’s about a person’s attachment to the stuff.
Keys tasks will include:
- Willing and able to offer practical support with decluttering. This could mean reducing, sorting and discarding clutter
- Support and assist the client to clean and maintain their home
- Using your influence and therapy techniques to establish a change in hoarding behaviour
- Supporting the client to access other services and activities that may help them to sustain their behaviour change and integrate into the community
Skills, experience and other requirements
- A good understanding of hoarding behaviour
- A minimum of three month’s previous experience working with vulnerable people, ideally those with differing behaviours
- be flexible
- be patient, with a robust ability to understand, without judgment
- be prepared and able to learn
- experienced in the use of varying response and engagement techniques
- maintain a sense of good humour